Monday, April 9, 2012

Garden beds and a back pack full of concrete....

For the last few weeks as I walk to the beach Ive been going past a garden thats getting a serious makeover. Part of the leftovers of which were a large pile of bricks and smashed up concrete that I had my eye on for raising the egdes of my garden beds so I can add more organic matter to the soil. Last night I finally asked the owner if he'd mind me raiding the pile, he replied 'no worries'. So today I did laps with my backpack carrying chunks of concrete and then arranging them in place. On about the 6th lap the owner came out and asked what I needed after this? So I tell him my plan, at which point he directs my attention to several rather lavish piles of soil and mulch. "The job goes another 3 weeks but there should be some left over" he indicates, keeping my cool while my inside goes WOO  HOO, I say well we'll see a bit later then. Joy joy, I then proceeded to begin daydreaming. Ive built two vegie beds and another one out the front and hardly touched the pile! So tommorrow Ill go around and build up the other beds. Its a blessing for this carless chick to have such resources walking distance away, and I can even borrow their wheelbarrow to move stuff. I just love that its all being done with materials that were gonna be chucked. Just like my garden at the flats!
      herb and vegie bed to be
garden beds and steps at flats

No comments:

Post a Comment