Saturday, November 18, 2017

Home Herbalism...


                                                    my just sorted herb cupboard :)

My ways are those of the kitchen herbalist, partly because I suck at marketing, partly because I love the freedom of small scale experimentation n' brewing in my medicine makings and green witchery.



Fresh plant tinctures from the garden often brew past their allotted 6 weeks, but this does no harm. If anything I feel it makes for more potent medicines than commercial or larger scale prepared ones. The tinctures themselves can last for years, once prepared and decanted, of course smell and taste are going to be indicators. Sometimes, on the other hand I'm awaiting the potions arrival and jump its bones as soon as possible!

                                                    infusing whole dried Calendula flowers

Infused oils are crafted with love into double infused ones, because I have the time to do so. In the cooler parts of the year I may well leave these for longer than 6 weeks too, although in the heat of Summer I have a bar fridge dedicated to herbs, resulting in pretty fine quality products made using them as ingredients. Creams, salves but also the simple oils.

I am an organic processes herbalist walking my path. I come from an artsy, spirited background and am a chaotic liver (domestics came to me late in life), plants are entrenched with me. Our garden attests to this. Parsley self seeds left right and centre, popping up between Croneworts in their patch, Lavendar and Rosemary bushes vibrantly expand, Lemon Balm oozes from her pot, Lemon Myrtles are coming into bloom, a native amidst weeds, she is accompanied by Dune care plants, used to regenerate our local coast.







No comments:

Post a Comment