Thursday, January 7, 2021

Thread doodles experimenting n' you just never know what'll come out o' the cauldron.....

Around about 4pm, I can find myself twitchy for something to occupy the beverage part of my brain. Don't own a tv, no Netfix. So, in the spirit o crafting, I have begun some 'thread doodles'. Playfully using simple stitches, they're a way for the hands to dance stuff away. Whilst in the same breath, practicality wise, exploring how to reinforce buttonholes sturdily....


 I do love a story, tis true. It's part of what I enjoy about plant echoes, foundling preloved fabrics, remembering leaves n nuts origins, in place n time. The combination of stitching with ecodye, acknowledges n creates a layering. Said example being the case of thread doodles. Some o the leave used to colour these, were from a tree I helped plant. Now in spirit, due to latter day renovations by latter day dwellers. The leaves didn't actually print super clear n neato mosquito, but their vibe is present. A resonance from that tree who is no more....

Also, I unfurled them hot, after 2 hours cooking, not awaiting overnight cooling, because I had a visit from a mate from high school and I wanted to share it with Soph. She lives in a land, relatively, far far away and rarely gets to see what I've literally been immersed in. Now when I look at them I will think to, and of her...


 

Several stories emerged from the cauldron this brewing. Another piece popped in was a baby blanket, once the comforter n warmer of my cousin, Clea. Sewn together by her mum Marian for her, from a piece of woolen blanket, edged with Liberty fabric and colourfull Indian cotton. Evocative in my lineage, both. 

Now I'll be honest, I'm not a scientific or mathematical type, like my bro. My dyeing is slightly feral round the edges at times. Accuracy n finite measurements, nope not really. Splash o iron potion, soak leaves till ready to go ahead. I do jot some things in my diary, when I remember, mordant begun dates, leaves harvested this date, began soaking here. An example is today's leaves were from a variety of windfalls, some familiar trees, others not. Some printed, others didn't. Variables. It's just my way....

Back to the blanket. I didn't mordant the cotton edges n backing, thought I'd just see what happened. I used some of that ex-Lemon scented gum (Corymbia citriodora) and wasn't sure what the result would be. Great shapes, blacks, greys n browns. The cotton got leaf prints, mayhap from the sheer previous use n age of the piece? 

There were wrinkles n wrunkles, know the feeling!


Clarissa Pinkola Estes has on her study wall, words along the lines of "Perfection is the enemy of done". Sometimes you just have to begin n see what happens! Take the above photo, it's not perfection, questionable it's Instagram worthy, yet it illustrates the story. As she speaks of herself as a writer, I could also be that skeleton at the typewriter, gone before the work is begun. Mayhap waiting for the aha moment of the perfect blog post! That's not to say I don't devote myself to developing skill n mastery in that which I choose to engage with, I do, and have. I simply believe there's a place for process based intentional living. 'She'll be right' n 'give it a go'....

As the Moon wanes, the cauldron brew I used today was over a month old. Possibly preserved by it's vinegar content, yet black as the night. So, I ended up with a pretty witchy crew of pieces! Not the clear reds and oranges on cream backgrounds of some previous batches, but beautiful all, in their own ways. 

 


Go the diversity! It's gonna happen anyways (I hope) may as well go with and injoy it. In creating and culture, conformity has never been a favorite. Best sign off for now, before I get on said soap box....




 

1 comment: