Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A shady saga...

The garden in our new home is, lets face it,  shady. I hear you gasp and wonder at how a herb and vegie growing freak could end up in, you know, one of those gardens again. Seduction by the proximity of the ocean. There its said, I was wrapped up in being all coastal without thinking of light levels for the green folks. So what am i going to do? I keep asking myself at 3am. I cant move, Ive signed a 12 month lease so I have to work with what Ive got. I put my perplexed self into questioning a feng shui practicioner, thinking how can I increase the earthyness and growth without light. Dawn turned the issue on its side and put it outside the box. She saw a  fire element deficency, where Id seen earth. She was spot on. Soil can be improved, but sunlight cant be made to come where theres trees from neighbours on 2 sides shading us out.

 Ive started working one day a week at a herb farm, where I can rescue chuck out plants and bring em home, and acess some from nursery (keep forgetting to). Theres one day a week when I come home dirty and happy.

Maximising use of our sunny areas. The roof of a shed, one wall of windowsills where my herb strays are going and um well the hanging gardens of babylon? It could work. It might have to work.I m losing it here...


Feng shui suggestions included a fire pit, painting the shed red, putting imagery of sun in garden, planting red plants or plants that echoe flames shapes, rooftop gardens and containers. So this morning Ive painted a sun on a warped breadboard my aunt gave me (unwarped), I told you Im losing it, I must grow veg and herbs

Other plants do grow, bromelliades (hey they come with reds), ferns, escapee indoor plants. so Im thinking a faerie grotto vibe for those parts of the garden. Working on pockets and then expanding them out...

So I wonder what shapes and forms our garden will take in 6 months time?

No comments:

Post a Comment